Tony Banks - A Curious Feeling CD (album) cover

A CURIOUS FEELING

Tony Banks

UMUR
3 stars Tony Banks debut solo album A Curious Feeling is a pretty good album if you´re into late seventies Genesis. I would place it somewhere between ...And Then There Were Three and Duke. There are also traces of the classical piano playing of Trick of the Tail and especially Wind & Wuthering. A Curious Feeling is heavily synth layered which was also a feature on ...And Then There Were Three while it has some of the commercial qualities of Duke. To me this could easily have been a Genesis album if Phil Collins had contributed vocals which he doesn´t. That´s a wise move by Tony Banks as Kim Beacon´s voice is what sets A Curious Feeling apart from the Genesis sound.

The music is synth driven, with strong and generally memorable vocal lines. There´s a melancholic mood to the songs which is something I also feel was present on ...And Then There Were Three. Tony Banks plays all instruments except for the drums who are played by Chester Thompson ( Genesis, Zappa, Weather Report) and the vocals from Kim Beacon. Tony Banks doesn´t really need that much of an introduction on a prog site, but his playing here is as usual enjoyable. Most songs are with vocals but there are a couple of instrumental tracks here too.

The production is very good and if you enjoy heavily synth layered pop/ rock music this will be a treat. If you´re a Genesis fan I would say this is a must.

I think A Curious Feeling is a good album and I will rate it 3 stars. If you like ...And Then There Were Three or even Calling All Stations this might be your thing.

UMUR | 3/5 |