Magenta - Metamorphosis CD (album) cover

METAMORPHOSIS

Magenta

peskypesky
4 stars Wow. This album has blown my mind! Gorgeous compositions, beautiful soaring vocals, and jaw-dropping musicianship. What more could a classic prog fan want?

Magenta wear their influences proudly on their sleeve. You can tell immediately that they are huge fans of Yes. The bass and guitar are particularly influenced by Chris Squire and Steve Howe, so much so that if I didn't know better, I would think it was Chris and Steve playing. The female vocals will remind others of Renaissance, and there are also a few passage that remind me of Genesis, but this band is far more than the sum of its influences. They have a personality and attitude all their own.

The amazing thing about this album is that it can sound so fresh and contemporary even though it is so heavily influenced by prog from 30 years ago.

I've only been listening to it for a few hours, but I can already say that Metamorphosis is one of my favorite prog albums of all-time.

peskypesky | 4/5 |