Rush - Rush CD (album) cover

RUSH

Rush

Barla
4 stars Firstly, I want to say this may be Rush's most underrated album. It's a crime to give such low ratings to a record like this. It's a great hard rock dose, with plenty of great riffs, rocking, raw moments, and incredibly well done choruses. And they are not that reminiscent of Zeppelin, as the majority says, except for that great Geddy's uuuhhh yeeah! 's, which remain no other than the great Plant. And In The Mood has a great zeppelinesque riff. Geddy is actually greater than in many of the other albums, the drumming is decent (though it's not Neil), and Alex delivers great solos (love the tone of his guitar).

As I already said, all tracks are incredibly catchy, with amazing choruses. Working Man is magic, a total classic. You get that feeling from the beginning of the song. Fans of rocker, heavy music will feel very high during all the album (there are no low points, though it's not a complete masterpiece). After listening to this album I wonder how could it be if Rush kept that hard rock roots during all the next albums. I wish they didn't got as prog as on Hemispheres, for example. IMO, Rush does the greatest job when they mix a little bit (and I said little bit) of prog with hard rock, guitar driven songs. They're at their best when they 'rock it' out. That's why 2112 has that perfect balance, and it's their best album.

Overall, their debut is an excellent record, criminally underrated and recommended to everyone, specially for fans of heavy music.

Rating: 4.2/5