Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM) - Live In Japan 2002 CD (album) cover

Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM)

Rock Progressivo Italiano

5 stars My introduction to this band was a live album back in the '70's. I lost track of them in the '80's but was really thrilled when I found a live in 2002 CD back in 2003. Didn't even occur to me to see if there was a DVD, which a got my hands, eyes, and ears on, until recently. This is both a treat for those already acquainted with the band as well as a great introduction for those who aren't. One of the best prog band from the '70's making a comeback in the '00's you can get.

Franz Di Cioccio, Franco Mussida, and Flavio Premoli are back on vocals/drums/percussions, guitars/vocals, and keyboards/vocals respectively. Patrick Djivas provides some great bass work. Lucio Fabbri shows his talents very well on violin, keyboard, guitar, and backing vocals. Piero Monteresi takes over drumming duties quite nicely when Di Cioccio takes center stage.

It's one thing to hear a great band play in person, but being able to actually see and revisit a performance you couldn't have attended, so well filmed and recorded is much better for me. Over two hours of concert music, they really played their butts off. Plus thirteen minutes of bonus (non-concert) footage backed by new music. I don't usually rate live shows as essential, but will have to make an exception in this case.

A very nice collection of old material, some new jams and improvisations, but what's up with Franz sticking all those drumsticks in his pants?

Slartibartfast | 5/5 |