Blackmore's Night - Under A Violet Moon CD (album) cover

UNDER A VIOLET MOON

Blackmore's Night

Prog Folk

Trotsky
2 stars I can't exactly put my finger on it, but I found this album to be less enjoyable than both its predecessor Shadow Of The Moon and its successor Fires At Midnight. Sure there's a highlight or two like the gorgeous Blackmore solo instrumental Possom Goes To Prague (probably the best of the many that he's essayed with the group) and the violin work on Morning Star but generally I was unimpressed by the pop-inflected folk of this album.

Under A Violet Moon, Castles And Dreams, Avalon and Fool's Gold (probably my favourite of the lot) are all reminscent of the style of the first album, but never quite seem as inspired. Another Blackmore instrumental Beyond The Sunset even sounds awfully like something from an easy listening collection, while his great playing at the beginning of Spanish Nights (I Remember It Well) is ruined by the song's aimless melody. Like the debut, this album is also too long and the last couple of efforts Now And Then and a cheeky remake of Rainbow's Self-Portrait, are pretty unwelcome.

Oh yes, there's nothing remotely progressive about this whole album. ... 29% on the MPV scale

Trotsky | 2/5 |