Blackmore's Night - Fires At Midnight CD (album) cover

Blackmore's Night

Prog Folk

4 stars I lost track of Ritchie's carreer at mid nineties, after his (I believe) last Rainbow album, which already had Candice Night as co-writer of the lyrics on some songs. I found this album by chance in the local record-store and decided to give it a try. Of course I expected a heavy (Gothic perhaps) rock album. But this album took me completely by surprise. it was nothing I had imagined him to play like.

Instead of heavy electric guitar, accoustic minstrell guitar takes the lead, often using 'ancient' traditional melodies, which would fit well in the halls of ancient castles or tavernes of old. Candice Night's fairy like fragile vocals carry the tunes very well, I immediatly fell in love with the sound of her voice, and the addictive cheerfull melodies on this album. Nice whistles, violins and other traditional instruments complement the minstrell band.

The music is similar in style and sound as some of Jethro Tull's music (I wasn't really surprised when I found out Ian Anderson contributed to their debut album). With very distinct folk/Minstrell influences, and occasionally Ritchie let's loose with a heavy solo, but all in accordence with the general relaxed nature of the album.

Recommended. especialy for all who enjoy accoustic guitar based melodic music.

tuxon | 4/5 |