Pure Reason Revolution - The Dark Third CD (album) cover

Pure Reason Revolution

ProgBagel
4 stars Pure Reason Revolution - 'The Dark Third' 4.2 stars

Sit back and relax.

This is a highly controversial band in prog circles and for one, I cannot understand. Possibly controversial to be considered prog or not, but regardless, I think this is great music. Not really a new sound but a unique band through nice samples, production and most importantly, wonderful vocals. While on the subject there are typically three different singers, featuring plenty of vocal harmonies that really makes this band stand out. Included in the vocal pool is Chloe Alper who has a wonderful voice and is a very good bassist. It is pretty rare to find a female vocalist in prog.

These musicians are no virtuosos. They make very simple music driven by deep layers, lush samples and unique vocals. The production job from Paul Northfield is nothing short of amazing, someone who I admire for that field of work. The overall sound is very atmospheric and calm, there is no loud sections or periods of anger in the music with the exception of 'In the Realms of the Divine', just very relaxing and simplistic.

Very few flaws in this work. Not epic by any means but a unique album with a strong sense of flow and consistency is a 4-star rating in my book. I added a little extra because the flaws are all too little. I highly recommended to somebody that wants something different and to relax with.

ProgBagel | 4/5 |