Psycroptic - The Isle of Disenchantment CD (album) cover

THE ISLE OF DISENCHANTMENT

Psycroptic

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

UMUR
2 stars The Isle of Disenchantment is Australien tech death metal band Psycropticīs debut album. Their music is pretty complex and extremely brutal. This is not for the faint at heart.

The music is in the death metal fold and it it influenced by the most extreme bands in the genre. The vocals alternate between deep non human subwoofer vocals and high pitched screams which is good for the diversity of the album. The songs are really not very catchy and personally I need some hooks to keep me interested. After a couple of songs the album becomes one big blur of brutal vocals and complex riffs and funny enough the album looses itīs breath and becomes generic. Music this brutal needs some hooks to stay powerful.

Iīm a big tech death metal fan but sadly most of the releases in this genre tends to use the same effects. They concentrate too much on complex playing and forget about the accessibility of their music. I donīt mean that they should make vers chorus songs because then I would be bored but some recognizable hooks here and there would make a world of difference between triviality and powerful innovative music. Psycroptic is a mixed bag as they are powerful but also concentrate a bit too much on the technical side of their playing.

Psycroptic are very skilled musicians. There is no doubt about that. You canīt play this insanely technical stuff without being a very accomplished musician. Drummer David Haley should be noted as he is on fire. That man can beat the shit out of that drumkit in various tempos and time signatures. David Haley is also a session musician for other extreme metal bands. He played the drums on Abortedīs latest album Slaughter & Apparatus: A Methodical Overture. You should also note singer Matthew Chalk as his vocal performance is really good. He sounds really pissed of and on his way to a mental institution.

The production isnīt the best and of course it doesnīt help the music on the way.

Even though I love technical death metal Psycroptic just donīt do much to me and I will have to rate The Isle of Disenchantment 2 stars. Itīs not a bad album and the musicianship is great but I think it lacks highlights and diversity to be really exciting.

UMUR | 2/5 |