Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath CD (album) cover

BLACK SABBATH

Black Sabbath

The Crow
4 stars I don't think that Black Sabbath should be in this site... They are a really influential band, of course, and they made absolutely great albums. But they are far from being prog-rock in my humble opinion...

Of course, they have had a lot of influence in rock music and specially in metal, but their music has nothing to do with the style of the bands included here... I think that if Black Sabbath are here, a thousand more bands should be also included in ProgArchives. And of course, I've heard a lot of more progressive band, wich are not in this site, while they are also very influential.

Ok, but I will review the Sabbath's albums I have anyway... Because I really like their music. And this debut album is one of their finest. A milestone wich sounded really hard, scary and original back in 1970. The creepy lyrics, together with the strong guitar riffs and the powerful Geezer Butler's bass, are the basis of this influential album. Before Black Sabbath made their appereance, any band brought so many obscurity and darkness into a simple record...

This scary lyrics are maybe a bit laughable today, and the music is not really dark, compared with other actual bands... But the fact is that this bands are here today in part because the Balck Sabbath's legacy. It's impossible to find a single band, from wich so many genres were devoleped: Stoner Rock, Doom Metal, Heavy Metal, Black Metal... The influence of Black Sabbath is just too big. Only bands like Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple and the usually forgotten Uriah Heep are comparable... But not really!

The album itself is not so hard as later albums, and like the first Led Zeppelin's work, it has a lot of blues influences (Behind the Wall of Sleep, Sleeping Village...) and some psychedelic elements too (N.I.B., The Warning...), while the true Black Sabbath's style was still to be developed. But it has also the deep and hard Iomi's riffs, wich together with the odd Osbourne's voice, are the Black Sabbath's trademark. So the style is not so well developed as the classic Paranoid, and not so well orientated as the stoner-milestone Master of Reality, a fact wich makes this album a diverse piece of rock, where Black Sabbath shows all their influences, and where they started to make their own very important legacy... But it's not their most representative album in my opinion.

So like I said before, this album is not prog... It has only a pair of psychedelic moments, in the final songs fo the album, but it's far from the style anyway.

Best songs: Black Sabbath (the main riff is the born of Doom Metal... I like the accelerated final part), N.I.B. (another album's classic... The bass intro is great, and so is the chorus) and Sleeping Village (this dynamic riff, is the root of stoner metal...)

Conclusion: this album is excellent, and its influence has been very big in the past four decades... But it's far from the styles wich are suposed to be included in this site. Of course, this is a fundamental band to understand the Heavy Metal (and progressive metal...) roots. But then, a thousand more bands and musicians should be included in this site for their influence in Jazz, Symphonic, Psychodelia, Tech/Extreme Metal, Prog Folk, Electronic... Because being not progressive or similar, they are also important for the developing of prog music.

My rating: ****