Cynic - Reflections of a Dying World CD (album) cover

Cynic

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

ProgBagel
1 stars Cynic - 'Reflections of a Dying World' 1 star

A terrible self-made demo.

I love most of the members that released the 'Focus' album and branched out into other projects that all had good output, but this is just a terrible release. Jack Kelly is relieved of vocal duties which are taken on by Paul Masvidal. A new guitarist that is included on the debut album, Jason Gobel, makes his first impression here, Cynic ever coming closer to their legendary line-up.

I find this to be a step-down from the previous demo in many senses. The production is some of the worst I have ever heard in my experience of hearing albums. This demo is also largely more thrash then the last one. The playing is less intricate; the guitars just play basic rhythms that are implemented into the band Slayer's style. I found this release to be quite a step back. It is so hard to believe a band can step it back on demos.

ProgBagel | 1/5 |