Van Der Graaf Generator - Trisector CD (album) cover

Van Der Graaf Generator

4 stars Van der Graaf are back and just as wonderful as ever! The overall texture and feel of Trisector couldn't have been much really stands alongside their 70's output quite well, despite the obvious absence of woodwind wizard Jackson. VDGG remain one of my favourite bands, and they have proven yet again that they aren't too old to make relevant, energetic, and dare I say youthful music! Having said that, Hammill's lyrics certainly show that he is a man of many years and great life experience, but at no time does he sound like an aged man - quite the contrary - he is in great voice here!

The only two bands I know of that seem to be able to still capture the magic of their original heyday are Magma and, now, Van der Graaf Generator. Take a lesson, Yes and Genesis! Re-inventing the wheel is not always the right answer!

VDGG have stuck to a formula which has endeared them to fans for nearly 40 years...thank God! I quite honestly didn't know what to expect when I first pressed 'play'...knowing that David Jackson was no longer with the group concerned me a bit...I think I almost expected this to sound like a PH solo record. However, those concerns melted away quickly - especially once Interference Patterns began - the complexity of those ostinato patterns remind me of a keyboard version of Discipline-era Fripp!

There is something for everyone on this far as I'm concerned, it's an instant classic!

themootbooxle | 4/5 |