Rush - A Farewell To Kings CD (album) cover

A FAREWELL TO KINGS

Rush

UMUR
4 stars A Farewell to Kings is the fifth album from canadian prog rockers Rush. Rush didnīt start life as a prog rock band but with the previous release 2112 things had taken a progressive direction compared to their first three releases which are basically hard rock albums. The progressive approach is fully established on A Farewell to Kings and for many fans of the band this is one of the finest releases from Rush.

The music has become rather complex and intricate on A Farewell to Kings and the use of keyboards is now an important part of Rush sound. The albums starts with the classical inspired guitar intro to the title song which is a great progressive rock song. Xanadu is the greatest highlight of the album and my favorite here. Epic and beautiful. Powerful and complex. Xanadu is a masterpiece and one of the best songs Rush have ever written.

Closer to the Heart is the hit from the album if you can talk about hits in progressive music. Itīs actually a semi-ballad. I didnīt use to like it, but over the years Iīve learned to appreciate it a bit more. Itīs acceptable. Cinderella man is a rock song which I donīt find much joy in and Madrigal is a short ballad type song. Itīs beautiful but nothing special. The last song on A Farewell to Kings is the epic Cygnus X-1 which is another highlight on this album. Itīs a very majestic song. It actually has a very dark mood.

The musicianship is outstanding as always but Neal Peart has once again stepped up and outdone himself ( as he has done his whole career). His playing is very complex yet memorable and powerful. Both Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson performs unbelievably well too of course.

The production is masterful. Really great.

This is an excellent prog rock album and even though this is not my favorite Rush album itīs definitely one of them. I wouldnīt call it a masterpiece even though I think itīs an essential prog rock album IMO. Itīs a matter of personal taste though. No one can deny that this music is of a very high quality. I will rate A Farewell to Kings 4 stars.

UMUR | 4/5 |