RPWL - The RPWL Experience CD (album) cover

RPWL

erik neuteboom
3 stars

Special Edition with 2 bonus track

Many years back I witnessed a RPWL gig during a Dutch progrock festival, I can remember the very Floydian inspired guitarplay. While listening to this new CD I can trace some Floydian guitarwork like in Watch Myself Sleeping (dreamy, then more lush and compelling) but more in the vein of Pink Floyd after Roger Waters his departure. The other 11 compositions sound like a blend of progressive pop, rock and symphonic, very modern and professional. In general the climates change from mellow (featuring twanging guitars, soaring keyboards and pleasant vocals) to compelling and bombastic. At some moments we can enjoy majestic violin-Mellotron eruptions like in Where Can I Go?, I Watch Myself Sleeping and Stranger (tight beat and biting wah-wah drenched guitar). I am mostly pleased with the captivating first song Silenced (almost 10 minutes): a propulsive guitar riff, a part with acoustic rhythm guitar and vocals, fat electronic sounds, a Floydian oriented synthesizer solo and sensitive guitar work.

On this new CD RPWL sounds dynamic and modern, this year they will go on tour and visit countries, from Germany, Belgium and Holland to Poland and even the USA, I am sure they will delight the progheads who like modern prog. My rating: 3,5 stars.

erik neuteboom | 3/5 |