Yes - Time and a Word CD (album) cover

TIME AND A WORD

UMUR
3 stars Time and a Word is the second album from symphonic rock legends Yes. Yes had a rough start to their career as they didnīt sell as many albums as Atlantic records wished. Time and a Word didnīt do much to change that fact. Yes was given a last chance and made The Yes Album and the rest is history. At the time Yes made Time and a Word they had a bit of identity crisis and strangely enough added an orchestra to many of the songs on Time and a Word. The music is unmistakably Yes and itīs rather progressive even though itīs not as challenging as later efforts, but the orchestra would divide their fans. Some think itīs a bold move while others find the orchestra a distraction from the music. I must say that most of the time I belong to the latter catagory.

The album consists of eight songs and they are all of good quality. None of the songs fall short like a couple of the songs on the debut did. The orchestra does add an extra dimension to some of the songs while it takes away power from others. My favorite songs on Time and a Word is Then, the psychadelic Astral Traveller and the pompeus title track which I for some reason have always loved even though itīs a bit cheesy. The Prophet also has many great parts while I find the orchestra to be a distraction in a song like the opening song No Opportunity Necessary, No Experience Needed.

The musicianship has only gotten better since the debut and once again Yes demonstrate their outstanding skills.

The production is really good. Clear sounding.

Time and a Word is not my favorite Yes album and I seldom listen to it, but itīs a good album never the less and I think others than the fans will also find joy in this album so Iīll rate it 3 stars.

UMUR | 3/5 |