Electric Light Orchestra - Face the Music CD (album) cover

Electric Light Orchestra

4 stars I generally toss ELO in with other bands such as 10cc, Moody Blues, early-Split Enz, Alan Parsons Project & Barclay James Harvest. I wouldn't really consider them a progressive rock band in the traditional sense, but much more interesting than the average pop rock band in the '70s. ELO were known for their craft in the studio and production values, much like the aforementioned other bands(notwithstanding Barclay James Harvest...who were much heavier live!). Most of you have heard Fire On High the instrumental. The intro used to frighten me as a child and generally still gives me the willies as an adult. Scary indeed. :-) Other excellent tracks like _Waterfall_, _One Summer Dream_ and _Strange Magic_ which remind me slightly of Harry Nilsson for their orchestral nature. I think everyone has _Evil Woman_ which is danceable in a Boz Scaggs _Lowdown_ sort of way. Great album that I recommend to any _progressive pop rock_ fan. Get the remastered version on Epic/Legacy if you can. It's richer and warmer compared to the original release which sounded tinny.

Gooner | 4/5 |