Weather Report - Weather Report CD (album) cover

WEATHER REPORT

Weather Report

UMUR
2 stars People always mention Return to Forever and Mahavishnu Orchestra when talking about Weather Report but at least on this debut album from Weather Report the comparison isnīt that true. Weather Report lacks the speed of light style of both mentioned bands. The jazz/ fusion style is of course something all three bands share. Weather Report isnīt as good as the two other bands IMO though.

The music can be described as easy listening instrumental ( well almost) jazz/ fusion which is driven by Joe Zawinulīs electric and acoustic piano playing. The lead instrument is Wayne Shorterīs soprano & tenor saxophones which plays lots of jazzy notes. The themes are pleasant and there are lots of soloing. After listening to the intro song Milky Way which is kind of experimental sounding I was hoping for some intriguing music, but I canīt say I find the rest of the songs that interesting.

The musicianship is what is most exciting about the album IMO. All musicians are way above average.

The production is good.

This is just a bit too jazzy for me. The fusion element isnīt strong enough for someone like me who doesnīt enjoy regular jazz much. The music and the playing is of high quality, but personally this is not very rewarding to me so Iīll have to rate this album 2 stars. The quality is for much more, so Iīm sure people more into the genre will like this more than me.

UMUR | 2/5 |