Shadow Gallery - Shadow Gallery CD (album) cover

SHADOW GALLERY

Shadow Gallery

UMUR
3 stars This is Shadow Gallery´s debut album. The album was released in 1993 which was progressive metals heyday. Just about every progressive metal band who released albums in the early nineties were considered innovative and original. I clearly remember those days with joy. Bands like Dream Theater, Psychotic Waltz, Queensr˙che, Sieges Even and Fates Warning were some of my favorites back then ( and some of them still are). I didn´t listen to Shadow Gallery then, but it´s really a shame as this album has lots of good elements.

Shadow Gallery is in the eighties progressive metal style that bands like Queensr˙che and Crimson Glory is also an exponent for. There is a bit of Dream Theater in the instrumental runs but Shadow Gallery also has strong neo classical US power metal leanings that can be compared to a band like Symphony X. Their solos which are played by both guitar and keyboards have a similar style to the one used by Symphony X. The vocal style is comparable to Geoff Tate from Queensr˙che even though I also hear a Midnight ( Crimson Glory) sneer once and again.

The album consists of seven songs and last for about an hour. There are no fillers on the album and every song is memorable. I´ll mention the last song on the album as a highlight. The queen of the city of ice is a really good epic song with very beautiful vocal lines and lots of great acoustic guitar playing. 17:22 minutes of soft progressive metal. In addition to the normal instrumentation of guitar, bass, drums, keyboards and vocals, bassist Carl Cadden-James also plays flute on a couple of the songs, which adds another dimension to Shadow Gallery´s music. The flute is not used extensively though.

The musicianship is really great and one of the best things is the vocals from Mike Baker. He is a very skilled vocalist. I really enjoy both the guitar and the keyboard parts from Brendt Allman and Chris Ingles too. The drums are not very well played though, and it´s definitely one of the weak spots on this album. The other weak spot is unfortunately the production which drowns the bass totally. Therefore I cannot give an analysis of Carl Cadden-James bass playing.

As mentioned the production is pretty awful and it ruins much of my listening pleasure which is a real shame as the compositions are very strong.

If you like soft progressive metal from the start of the nineties this should not be missed even though the production is horrible. I think Shadow Gallery have made a really good album and I´ll be looking forward to listening to the rest of their discography. The music is complex but not in a tech metal way which means that you´re in for a more emotional progressive metal experience compared to the more technical bands in the genre. I´ll rate this album 3 stars.

UMUR | 3/5 |