Spock's Beard - Feel Euphoria CD (album) cover

Spock's Beard

3 stars Not really a bad effort here. I was one of the legions of Spock's Beards fans who found themselves a little bit leery of the post-Neal band. Thankfully my fears were proven wrong--but not by this album. As far as Feel Euphoria goes, it's only average at best. If this was the first CD of theirs I'd listened to after Neal left, I don't think I would have kept going with the band. I'm glad it's not. I found myself much more able to cut my teeth on their self-titled, and having absorbed that, Feel Euphoria is much more agreeable.

But I only gave it three stars, and the main reason for that is energy. Older SB (and s/t SB) seem to carry that sort of excitement and energy through most of their songs. That energy is somewhat spotty or at least very difficult to find through this music. There are some beautiful compositions, some great musicianship and all that whatnot, but the long and short of it is: Feel Euphoria will not excite you very much. I'm a fan of mellow music, don't get me wrong, but Spock's Beard's talents are far more suited to getting my adrenaline moving than tuning my emotions to theirs.

So, three stars. It's worth it, but they are better before and after.

LiquidEternity | 3/5 |