Glass Hammer - Culture Of Ascent CD (album) cover

CULTURE OF ASCENT

Glass Hammer

ZowieZiggy
2 stars Before hearing any notes from this album, I was extremely skeptical.

They finally made it. After so many "Yes" oriented albums and the use of Roger Dean to design the cover of their previous album, this US band adds even more "fun" to their game.

A cover of a very old "YesSong" which is dramatically poor and doesn't add a ? cent to the original. The band was also highly promoting the fact that Jon took some vocal parts on this album.

This album is extremely lengthy (almost seventy minutes), and frankly, song writing is fairly average. Few to none highlights, poor solo, weak vocals (I'm not talking about the short backings from Jon). And if some might consider "Ember Without Name" as an "epic", I just consider this one as a long and painful experience.

And honestly, the second one is not better either. Almost twenty minutes of heavy and boring stuff is what characterizes Into Thin Air. One of the few bearable moments is the closing number Rest even if it is on the mellowish side.

Two stars for this average album. The only good news, as far as I'm concerned, is that I have now finished the review of their albums.

Two stars.