Fairport Convention - Full House CD (album) cover

Fairport Convention

4 stars I must admit a little bit of surprise to find Fairport Convention on this web-site, as I always thought of them as pure folk. I also admit I'm wrong, for this was a very special album to me during my college days, and there is definitely a certain proggyness to it -(I guess it's the electric aspect to it - offensive to traditionalists) particularly in the lengthy Sloth (Just a roll, just a roll on the drums) - although perhaps a little too lengthy. A very dreamy album with fantastic melodies, harmonies and musicianship throughout - my favourites are Sir Patrick Spens and Flowers of the Forest - very moving. The ability to use different guitar tunings is fascinating. Not essential perhaps, but well worth it...
PinkPangolin | 4/5 |