Psycroptic - The Scepter of the Ancients CD (album) cover

THE SCEPTER OF THE ANCIENTS

Psycroptic

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

UMUR
4 stars The Scepter of the Ancients is the second album from Australian tech death metal band Psycroptic. The Scepter of the Ancients is a giant step forward from their somewhat weak or at least below average debut The Ilse of Disenchantment. Psycroptic plays the most brutal and complex/ challenging variant of death metal you can get which means that many who visit this site probably will shy away from this release. Consider yourself warned. To those of you who like me enjoy this extreme variant of music The Scepter of the Ancients is recommended listening though.

The music is very complex with lots of different riffs in every song and lots of tempo and time signature changes. There is absolutely no melody on this album, but Psycroptic focus on fast riffing and complex structures instead. I know some people might find this too brutal and one dimensional but I wouldnīt call it that. The style can seem a bit trivial to the untrained ear, but enough spins does mean that you start to remember the riffs and some of the grooves.

The most positive thing about The Scepter of the Ancients is, besides the outstanding musicianship, Matthew Chalkīs schizophrenic vocal style. His style is very entertaining and varied. All sorts of extreme metal vocals from high pitched screaming to the deepest growls and even some piggy grunts are in his repetoire. His work on this album is nothing short of magnificent. What a brilliant frontman. Totally hysterical and insane in the most twisted and perverted way you can imagine. What a joy.

Even though there are a few contemporary tendencies in the music, I hear more influences from american death metal bands from the nineties like Morbid Angel, Ripping Corpse, Death, Malevolent Creation and especially Suffocation. All brutal bands on a high technical level. Psycroptic has taken the brutal elements from those bands and mixed it with tech metal.

The musicianship is as mentioned outstanding on The Scepter of the Ancients and besides Matthew Chalkīs brilliant vocal approach you should also enjoy the complex and exciting drumming from David Haley. He is an extremely fast and skilled drummer.

The production is raw and unpolished and I must say that even though I normally prefer more polished metal productions this production is just the right one for the brutal and twisted music on The Scepter of the Ancients.

This has been a really good experience and Scepter of the Ancients has put Psycroptic back on my radar. After this release Psycroptic unfortunately lost Matthew Chalk and Iīm a bit anxious to hear if the new frontman can put on a show like him. I doubt it but I havenīt yet listened to the latest album from Psycroptic, so weīll see about that on that one wonīt we ? Iīll rate this twisted, complex and chrushingly brutal album 4 stars. Iīm not sure this is the most innovative tech death metal album I have ever heard but itīs very powerful and thatīs more than half the enjoyment for me when it comes to extreme metal.

UMUR | 4/5 |