Mastodon - Lifesblood CD (album) cover

LIFESBLOOD

Mastodon

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

The Crow
2 stars So, I'll finally start to review the Mastodon's albums, a band that I've followed for years... This little EP, their first official release, is their least worthy work!

Mainly because the true style of the band would be later developed... While in this album the dominant key is death metal, with some trash and stoner rock elements, and a bit of experimentation. Ok, this mixture is the Mastodon's trademark, but in Lifesblood the direction of the tracks is not really clear, and a bit too caothic. The poor production don't help to improve the sensation this 5 tracks give. The vocals are really poor in comparition with later Mastodon's albums, and they are too synthetised and artificial.

But if you are a Mastodon fan, of course you'll find some interesting things here... Like I find. We Built this Come Death has some of this macabre and odd ambience that Mastodon can give to their songs. The little initial riff of Hail to Fire has the typical sharp and special Mastodon''s guitar sound, and Brann Dailor was impressive behing the drumkit yet... And of course, Battle at Sea is a really worthy track, a little Mastodon's classic.

Nevertheless, if you are new to the band, I recommend you to start with one of their full lenght albums (specially Leviathan or Blood Mountain).

Conclusion: if you are not a Mastodon's fan, you will hardly find anything interesting here... Because this album is maybe too rough, too death metal, and the later Mastodon's style is almost invisible here. I'm not speaking in terms of prog (are Mastodon really prog?), but in terms of quality and the original and unique sound that Mastodon give to their music in albums like the great Leviathan. So in my humble opinion, Lifesblood is only recommended for fans and completionists.

My rating: **1/2