Circle - Terminal CD (album) cover

TERMINAL

Circle

Psychedelic/Space Rock

Mortte
5 stars I was a little worried about Circle´s future. There haven´t been many years Circle hasn´t made studioalbums, but last year there came only live releases. In interviews Mika has told his passion about moviemaking and last year came his first movie "Samurai Rauni Reposaarelainen". I was really glad, when hearing there were coming new Circle album. But quite soon I was also little bit suspicious, taster "Kill City" sounded at first little bit boring, also they told influences taken by Judas Priest and the Stooges and that didn´t sound to me very inspiring. But my worries were unneccessary: Circle has made again really great album!

Album starts in it´s longest song "Rakkautta Al Dente" (= Love with Al Dente). It´s starts with very slow, heavy riff, but gladly albums soundworld is much more from the seventies than these days, so it´s not too heavy. Although album is made mostly with electric instruments, it soundworld reminds a lot their predecessor acoustic album "Pharaoh Overload". Janne starts to sing something really high but not sounds Rob Halford at all. When Mika starts to sing, song also calm down a little. In the middle of the song there is very great musical trip that reminds long improvisations of the end of the sixties. Album tittle song is really great although it´s quite simple. The main riff reminds Stooges "I Wanna Be your dog" but there also a great other part that reminds Sonic Youth´s melodic songs. "Saxo" reminds "Kävelen Luitten Päällä" from the "Pharaoh Overload"-album with it´s shamanistic atmosphere. "Imperiumi" (=imperium) is the most Judas Priest influenced song and also the most different from the other material. "Kill City" opened me in a great way after second listening. It has Stooges-influences, but also very great melodies and very suprising end, so it´s the most prog songs in this album together the album starter. "Sick Child" ends album very great way, it reminds Janne´s bluesy solo works, but is totally made by electric instruments. Janne´s vocals goes very deep into your soul.

Circle has had also internationally attention to it´s great work. I really hope this deserved attention continues, because Circle is these days one of the greatest bands in this whole world. I really hope that I am just old hippie, who doesn´t understand the music of today, but to me most of these days music sounds very cold and too clean. Circle continues to make music that lives!

Mortte | 5/5 |