Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Solar Fire CD (album) cover

SOLAR FIRE

Manfred Mann's Earth Band

friso
2 stars Reading all the positive reviews on this album and hearing the song Joybringer I decided to buy it. On my way back home from the recordstore (vinyl records that is) I saw on the tracklisting that Joybringer was missing on my lp! I have the alternative version I found out.

Joybringer must have been the best song of the album because the others are boring. They all start of with fancy intro's, giving you the feeling a great extravaganza is going to come. But when the song really starts only rock standerds appear from your speakers.

The first song Father of Day: Father of Night is a fair start. It sounds a bit popmusic-like but it's ok. The solo must be the progressive part. The guitar is out of tune though, so it's more a mistake then an progressive observasion I guess. The voices of Manfred Mann sound a bit like Ozzy Osbourn at some moments, overall he does a good job on the whole album. The next two songs of side 1 are boring. As I said, simple rockstanderds with some special effects.

Side two is better. Solar Fire isn't a special song but Saturn and Earth the Cricle are sufficient. It works so to speak. The production of record is ok, the artwork is nice. I just can't find any progression here. So, sorry for all enthousiastic reviewers of this record, but I give it two stars.

friso | 2/5 |