Van Der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts CD (album) cover

Van Der Graaf Generator

4 stars This is the first and only van der Graaf Generator album I've ever heard and I'm going to hear more of them.

(6.5/10) The first song is an ok beginning, but ain't really mind blowing at all. It's a great introduction to their style, but some things starts out from nowhere, wich works out great in 'the plague of the lighthousekeepers', but not in this song in my oppinion. I do love the dissonant saxmelodies from Jackson. I often skip this song, because I like the rest more

(9/10) This is classic van der Graaf. It starts really sweet, but there is some kind of threat in the song. Things are going to hell with the 11/8 theme. Awesome!

(7/10) The final piece, is very experimental. It contains ten parts. This really freaks me out. The piece is made by recording the parts seperately. Then the only thing left was to paste the pieces to make the piece one. It is a mess and therefor the piece ain't perfect. But it's surely original.

There are people that can't stand Hammil's voice. I can understand that because of it's very dramatic sound. I actually like his voice after a few listens.

Four stars.