Rush - Counterparts  CD (album) cover

2 stars Okay, I couldn't believe Counterparts rated a 3.99 on the Prog Archives.....I'd give it a 2.5, maybe a 3. So I went back and listened to it in its entirety, just to be sure. And now I'm convinced it's more like a 2 or 2.5. I mean. there's just no good songs here. Animate and Stick It Out rank as mediocre late-era Rush songs...the rest are just crap. Even the instrumental, Don't Touch That Thing, is probably the worst Rush instrumental ever.

I understand why people cheered the decision to de-emphasize the synths, return to a more streamlined sound and generally rock out more. But, man, the songs are just terrible. I just don't find anything redeemable in any of the songs after the first two. I don't get it. After just now (painfully) finishing the entire album, no question...a 2.

MrMan2000 | 2/5 |