Rush - Hemispheres CD (album) cover

HEMISPHERES

Rush

UMUR
4 stars Hemisperes is the sixth album from canadian prog rocker Rush. Rush was at this time of their career at their most progressive and Hemispheres contains some of the best songs Rush have made so far. Their previous album A Farewell to Kings had lots of great songs as well and Hemispheres follow the concept of that album too.

The music on Hemispheres is very symphonic while Rush maintain their hard rock riffing too. Geddy Lee has never sounded better. Here on Hemispheres he is in total control of his strange voice. He can both be sensitive and very angry sounding. His angry vocal delivery would stop after this album so this is the last chance to hear him singing that way.

Cygnus X-1 Book II is a great epic 18:04 minute track. Itīs definitely the highlight of this album and one of the best songs Rush have made so far. Lots of sections, great riffs and melodies. This is a true prog rock classic.

Circumstances is a good short rocking song. Itīs one of the better short ones from the last three albums, but Iīm not that excited.

The Trees is probably the worst song on Hemispheres which has much to do with the stupid lyrics. I know that the story of the Trees is a metaphor but itīs got to be the lamest metaphor Iīve ever heard in a song. The last instrumental part of the song is great though.

La Villa Strangiato is a great instrumental track which reminds me of an extented version of one of my favorite Rush songs YYZ from Moving Pictures. Itīs the other highlight of Hemispheres. A great song.

The musicianship is outstanding. These three musicians have a mutual understanding that canīt be tought or defined. They breathe with one mouth. A perfect symbiosis.

The production is very good and I just love the way the keyboards sound. The drum sound is really brilliant too.

Hemispheres is definitely one of my favorite Rush albums even though nothing will ever beat Moving Pictures. I donīt feel that itīs a masterpiece though and I will rate it 4 stars. Youīll have to have this one in your collection though. But you already knew that didnīt you ?

UMUR | 4/5 |