David Bowie - 1. Outside CD (album) cover

1. OUTSIDE

David Bowie

Slartibartfast
4 stars "A non-linear Gothic Drama Hyper-cycle"

"Not tomorrow, yesterday," A grand plan that never materialized.

Though I knew the name of David Bowie for a while, this was the first album of his I actually added to my collection (had a copy of Heroes LP on cassette from a while back) This was the one that really got me interested in the rest of his works. I had become acquainted with Heroes a few years back only and never took an interest in exploring the rest until hearing this one. This one hooked me enough to have try out all his future releases whenever as they come out. The main draw for me - Eno's prominent role. Being a concept album didn't hurt either. It was supposed to be a grand concept with this the first installment of a series of concept albums, which for better and/or worse never materialized, hence the official title on the album: 1. Outside.

There was a music movement called industrial, that was by some, at the time, epitomized by Nine Inch Nails, and no doubt Bowie was influenced by it. Since I was just getting into NIN, this album really clicked with me, and it still does. Might expand your boundaries a little, too...

Slartibartfast | 4/5 |