Rush - Permanent Waves CD (album) cover

PERMANENT WAVES

Rush

UMUR
4 stars Permanent Waves is the seventh album from Canadian prog rock legends Rush. Following up on the excellent Hemispheres probably wasnīt easy but Rush have taken their music a step further with Permanent Waves. Released in 1980 this album is still clearly a seventies prog rock album but there are lots of new eighties tendencies in the music as well which will probably scare some away but attract others.

The music is different from the music on Hemispheres mostly because of the mood change which took place in this part of Rush career. Geedy Leeīs singing style and Neil Peartīs lyrics changed from aggressive to more reflective and sometimes melancholic. On one hand I do miss Geedy Leeīs over the top singing from the earlier albums, but on the other hand I love his new more dynamic singing style. Itīs great to hear that Rush evolved between every album.

There are some truly excellent songs on Permanent Waves. Spirit of the radio starts the album with a much more commercial approach than usually and it took me quite some time to appreciate this song, but today itīs one of my favorites from Permanent Waves. Freewill is my absolute favorite from the album. It ranks among the best Rush songs ever and could easily have been included on Rush next album Moving Pictures which is my favorite Rush album. In fact I wish they would have included Freewill instead of the weak Vital Signs as the last song on Moving Pictures it would have made an already perfect album even more complete. Jacob's ladder took me a while to appreciate but again this is a song that has grown on me over the years. Entre nous is a good little prog rock song and even though itīs not the most exciting song on Permanent Waves itīs still a very good song. Different strings is a ballad type song which is my least favorite here. Itīs allright but nothing more. The ending song Natural science which is a 9 minute long track is a dark and excellent song with lots of great parts. Itīs not as good as the epics from the last two albums but itīs excellent anyway.

The musicianship is outstanding as always when weīre talking Rush. Itīs always been one of the most exciting things about their albums besides the great music of course. This is the ultimate power trio. They are able ro create so much sound even though they are only three people and this is also true on stage in a live environment.

The production is soft and warm but still has punch when itīs needed. This is one of the most well produced prog rock albums ever. A bit too polished maybe ?

Permanent Waves is one of the best albums Rush have made so far and one of my favorites from the band. Very few prog rock bands made this good music in 1980 and Rush would like many other seventies prog rock bands be influenced by the synth sound of the eighties on later albums, but Permanent Waves and their next album Moving Pictures will forever stand as some of the best prog rock albums from the early eighties. Permanent Waves is not quite a masterpiece in my book but a 4 star rating is very well deserved.

UMUR | 4/5 |