Beggars Opera - Act One: Beggars Opera CD (album) cover

Beggars Opera

4 stars 4,2 Stars!

At least a good album. Beggar's Opera is a kind of band that can wash a human soul. To me, ''Act One'' is my favourite work from them (not that ''Waters of Change'' and ''Pathfinder'' aren't good, is just that I personally think this album is more creative and experimental, with a good sound mixing).

My highlights are ''Passacaglia'' and ''Light Cavalry''. What catches my attention in the first one is the outstanding duet beetween Ricky Gardiner's guitar and an edited version of Martin Griffiths' vocals. It's near impossible not to sing along or at least not to pay a high musical attention. Talking about the second highlighted piece (in my opinion the best), I can't hide my piece of internal musical happinesss when I listen to the keyboards riffs mixed with a plenty of good drum rythims that exist in this mini-suite.

If I had to point one dislike in this album, it would be the vocals in some parts of a couple of songs, that I personally think it would be possible to be more mixed and edited. However, this fact doesn't make any further damage to the album's union.

ProgPeter! | 4/5 |