Fruitcake - Room For Surprise CD (album) cover

ROOM FOR SURPRISE

Fruitcake

friso
3 stars Not a lot has been written about this band yet. Fruitcake is an scandinavian prog group that realy sounds like it is one. You can hear the space in the music, they take time for the songs. Their music is sometimes a bit repetitive and sounds a bit easy. Progression is to be found in the atmosphere they make, not in their interpretation of musictheory. My experience is that when you listen to this again you will hear the musicians are actually pretty damn good! All the solo's have an emotial component wich make them work realy good.

The vocals howerever are as dry as can be. No high notes, just relaxt and low. It's clear this is not intended to be as the main ingredient for the music they make. The crazy thing about these vocals is that I like them very much. In my opinion prog doesn't always have to have great singers, if the expression is understood and atmosphere is made I'm more then happy with it. The keyboards and organs are very '70s like, this sometimes gives me warm feeling that some '70 progrecords use to have. Is this nostalgia? Yes it is!

Now about the content. Time to go is one of my alltime favourite progsongs! A great start. Sounding as slow as Sigur Ros and as dry as a dessert this song hits the rose! I always get carried away listening to this song. It's long and has a lot of repetition, but in my opion it could have been longer! It's like the Court of the Crimson King feeling: You never want this theme to end! It's so great! In de middle section we here some sound effects and a nice pianotheme. Great!

Tall'n Dark is an normal song, a bit easy but OK.

Keep the Light however is another 100% right song! The vocals fit so well with the sound of the organs. It's a totally new sound! Warm is the best word to discribe it. Room for Surprises starts of with a single basprogression with some drums. The lyrics are slow and at first this doesn't seem to be a song to name your record after. But as the intstrumental sections starts in the middle and some great moment of progrock is created. A lot of nice tension, it's actually exciting to hear how this song develops! A nice guitarsolo finishes this part of the song and the ending is like it started all along.

Touch the Sky is an epic. Ten minutes of nice guitar and organparts. Again, some exciting moments coming out of nowhere. Because of the peace of this music the faster parts are realy working out! This itself is an progressive idea wich is used in it's most pure form. Hunting Old Ladies and Golden Age are both nice songs wich do not require any information.

The Famous Hill is an more interesting song. It begin with a lot of themes worked out. A bit too repetitive I must say, but again nice vibes. They make it sound so easy but yet still a bit mysterious. You wander what kind of people Fruitcake are. In de middle of Famous Hill some vocals part are developed wich are not superb but do work. Some nice solo's finishes this song in style.

A Whisper. Piano and introducing the female vocal part of the band. Still very impressed by here vocals on Keep the Light she again can succeed our expectations. The instrumental part that is played between the vocal parts is a bit psycho. It actually sounds a bit like a bullying theme. After the middle of the song we get some good guitarsolo's and chord progressions on a organ. The song has as an advantage that it sound like an ending and so the record feels completed when ending.

So an album with it's own atmospheres, nice guitar parts, good organ sounds and above all: peacefull overall but sometimes very exciting! A great mix of those two together with the strange vocals and some great songs like Time to Go, Keep the Light and Touch the Sky make this almost a four star record! Still this is no excellent addition to everyone's progcollection. It is good and it should not be avoided, but somehow it could have been a bit better with some more power in it. Three stars for now.

friso | 3/5 |