Dream Theater - Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From A Memory CD (album) cover

METROPOLIS PART 2: SCENES FROM A MEMORY

Dream Theater

4.29 | 2072 ratings

crimson87
4 stars Over the last weeks this album got a lot of outstanding reviews , so I thought I should put my point of view on the screen.

This album is often called the pinnacle of progresive metal , and in my opinion if this is the pinnacle then I have nothing to expect from the genre.The album has several flaws , First of all , it's length which can make one to lose attention (especially during the long instrumental sections).Secondly , the lyrics are somewhat cheesy and uninspired , and last but not least the fact that the ballads are terrbily bad and they seem to be ripping Roger Waters off.

Having said that I also think that the album with all this major flaws is still quite good.Overture 1928 is one of the best instrumentals I have ever heard , in which Petrucci delivers two touching solos (not very usual in the guy).Also , in Home he writes a very good and cathy riff which makes the song hearable no matter it's 13 minute length.Also the simplicity on the lyrics department can be a positive aspect if we consider that this is a concept album and it's important to follow the storyline (That goes for The Lamb).

So , to end this review I think this album is a good , but not escential one because it's quite easy listening , in spite of all the wanking Petrucci and Ruddess deliver.Iwould like to add that I enjoyed the very bashed carnival interlude on The dance of Eternity by the way.

crimson87 | 4/5 |