Mangrove - Facing The Sunset CD (album) cover

FACING THE SUNSET

Mangrove

friso
5 stars Yes! Another great record from the Dutch. Four compositions taking 57 minutes from your clock. I sas Mangrove live before I ever had an album of this group. They were playing before the mainact: Knight Area. Though I like the work of the latter, I think Mangrove has made the best record. The show they gave was powerfull and had a very good sound. The amplifications were good and the mix was perfect. This good be the true power of prog: we don't have to play the music so loud you can't hear it anymore.

But what kind of band is Mangrove? Mangrove is an heavy symphonic progrock band with a guitarist who also does the vocals, bassguitar, a drummer (who does backing vocals) and a keyboardplayer that is surrounded by electric equipement in order to use as many sounds as possible. The first two releases of Mangrove I do not find very interesting, but with Facing the Sunset this band realy showed of what it is capable of! The music is sometimes heavy, almost always symphonic, some weird cues are used and the vocals ain't quite the main ingredient. Roland van der Horst is better at playing guitar then as a vocalist, but his voice is different from other vocalist so it gives the band an own sound. The guitaramplifications could have been better though. Sometimes the music gets very complicated with chords that are hard for the non-prog ear. Then the music becomes very melodic with drama and details. Between we hear great ways to build up songs and compositions. The keyboardpars are like realy good! Chris Jonker, he's a busy man on stage. I love this musician!

Facing the Sunset has four sompositions: A dark opening were the lyrical themes are introduced. Later on the mood of the song changes and an epic is born. I fear the Day is more of an ballad with lots of instrumental parts, again a long song over 10 minutes. There must be a way is one of the best creations of Mangrove of all time. Beginning with strange rythmes wich work very well for them going to a dark section, a more classical theatrical scene to a very powerfull ending. No lyrics on this one, only damn good musicianship! Hidden Dreams is the last epic on this record. It's long, 21 minutes almost. The main themes are very atractive and the instrumental parts in between again brilliant! The song ends great so the album is finished with an mood giving satisfaction to the listener.

So in in summary: great compositions, great musicianship, great live performance and nice concept. There isn't a thing I do not realy like about this album. So.... FIVE STARS!

friso | 5/5 |