Caligula's Horse - In Contact CD (album) cover

IN CONTACT

Caligula's Horse

javajeff
2 stars I have enjoyed all Caligula's Horse albums up until this one. This one feels heavier with more of a Djent feel, but aside from that, Track 8 made this one a huge disappointment to me. Inertia and the Weapon of the Wall is a fierce, angry, spoken word piece. It is not a song, and they placed it right in the middle of their album. Had they put it at the end as a bonus track, I would have just ignored it, But in the middle, it became a blemish in what could be a decent album. Djent is not my thing either, and I would have thought the other 3 albums were better to begin with. But having a track in the middle of the album that I have to automatically remove when playing the album, is a huge knock against the album. I felt the same way on the Steven Wilson album this year with Permanating, and this is the first year in collecting progressive rock where I ever felt this way. The thing is that I really love the way that Crippled Black Phoenix or Godspeed You! Black Emperor does spoken word samples with atmospheric music in the background to create a post-rock vibe. But the angry pretentious sounding spoken word is something I really do not want to have in my music. It hit me hard, and really turned me off to this album.
javajeff | 2/5 |