Kayo Dot - Blue Lambency Downward CD (album) cover

RIO/Avant-Prog

ProgBagel
3 stars Kayo Dot - 'Blue Lambency Downward' 3 stars

Not Kayo Dot.

While this is another bold musical statement, I feel like Kayo Dot left something important behind. The album is a lot more jazzy and avant, but lacks the metal and anger that really establishes mood in the songs on previous albums. What is really astonishing about the record is that I find the shorter, least progressive songs to be the best. The longer tracks just make me lose attention, quite rapidly. The title track is a perfect example of my accusation. The beginning just sounds endless and tiring, with little going on and sadly nothing going on till it is over. While none of the songs are 'terrible', I find none of them to really stand out except 'The Awkward Wind Wheel'.

A short review, I know, but this music is once again indescribable and useless to even try. I can assure the reader that Kayo Dot's two previous outputs are well above this album. There is a certain lack of what makes Kayo Dot. Kayo Dot.

ProgBagel | 3/5 |