Neal Morse - ? CD (album) cover

?

Neal Morse

cutsofmeat
5 stars After really enjoying Neal's previous effort One I was very excited about ?. Neal recruited some highly touted prog musicians for this one, including Mike Portnoy (who is standard on a Neal release), Jordan Rudess, Roine Stolt, brother Alan Morse, and Steve Hackett. At the first few listens, this album did not hit me like some other Neal Morse releases. In fact, I was a little underwhelmed. BUT now it's about 3 years later and about 50 spins later, I would rate this album as one of Neal's best works (right behind One). It's amazing how Neal can breathe life into a concept that I never have had too much interest in, the Tabernacle in the Old Testament. But this album made the Bible passages come to life for me and gave me a fresh view of it. The emotion he puts into his music is nothing short of magical. And the way he, Portnoy and Randy George work together to create music brings chemistry of the highest amount. Something special happens each and every time those 3 go into a studio. The highlights of the album are: Sweet Elation, the jamming section on In the Fire, 12 (a monster solo by Steve Hackett) and the ending 3 album tracks which tie everything together (much like Snow during his SB days). The music is very inspired which creates an uplifting feeling when listening, religious or not.

Some proggers say Neal has been releasing more of the same for a few albums now....if that's the case, then keep it coming! More of the same is fine by me! 5 stars and no reservations....May prog be with you...

cutsofmeat | 5/5 |