Tim Buckley - Tim Buckley CD (album) cover

TIM BUCKLEY

Tim Buckley

Prog Folk

UMUR
3 stars This is American folk rock artist Tim Buckley┤s debut album. It was released through Elektra in 1966. Produced by The Doors producer Paul Rothchild & Jac Holzman this album has a very nice production.

The music is pretty basic folk rock and the big attraction here is Tim Buckley┤s distinct Roy Orbinson like vocal style. He has a very impressive voice and if you think of the fact that he was only nineteen when this album was released he has a very mature voice. The music allthough simple and sometimes a bit too greased in string arrangements is actually very enjoyable IMO. The song that stands out the most and the only song on the album which can be deemed progressive is Song Slowly Song. Tim Buckley strays a bit from the simple folk rock format on this song and shows signs that he was much more than your usual folk rock singer. There is a chord progression in I Can┤t See you which is also a bit out of the ordinary but you probably wouldn┤t consider it progressive.

Tim Buckley is one of those musicians/ persons with a larger than life charisma and it really shines through in his music. He has assembled a great lineup for this album. The drummer is for example Billy Mundi ( Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention).

I had heard about Tim ( and his son Jeff) Buckley before reading about him here on Prog Archives but I never listened to his music. Allthough this album hasn┤t convinced me of his genious yet it┤s a very enjoyable album and I┤ll rate it 3 stars. I┤ll most definitely work my way through his discography to search for that genious I can sense is there.

UMUR | 3/5 |