Shadow Gallery - Carved In Stone CD (album) cover

CARVED IN STONE

Shadow Gallery

UMUR
3 stars Carved in Stone is the second album from american progressive metal band Shadow Gallery. Shadow Gallery is a band that has been on the scene almost from the start and they should definitely be considered one of the leading bands of the genre. The debut album from Shadow Gallery was a good album IMO and Carved in Stone continues the high level of musicianship and composing that was started on the debut. The addition of Gary Wehrkamp on piano, guitar, synth and backing vocals has made Shadow Gallery complete.

The music is as such pretty ordinary progressive metal. High pitch singing, great technical musicianship and excellent compositions. Shadow Gallery is by no means a Dream Theater clone like many of their contemporaries. They are much more influenced by a band like Queensr˙che and their music like Queensr˙che´s ditto isn´t overtly technical even though there are challenging sections in some songs. A song like the opener Cliffhanger could have been a Queensr˙che song on Operation Mindcrime. I mean this as positive thing. Shadow Gallery isn´t a very heavy band and sometimes I feel they use too much time on the more subtle sides on their music ( too much piano playing) and sometimes their music just gets a bit too commercial for my ears. Just listen to the chorus in Crystalline Dream.

The musicianship is excellent. Great soloing, nice atmospheric keyboards and an outstanding singer in Mike Baker. Very few vocalists in the progressive metal genre stand out but Mike Baker has a distinct voice. It´s both beautiful and powerful.

The production is unfortunately a bit of a problem for me. It doesn´t really hit my standard of professional sounding productions and it drags the album down 1 star.

This is a very good progressive metal album and it´s very recommendable compared to the many Dream Theater clones that we´re treated to every day. Shadow Gallery has their own sound ( Even though they do sound a bit like Queensr˙che here and there) and it´s always a treat to put on this album. Unfortunately the production drags my rating down from 4 stars to 3. Some might find that a bit unfair, but that´s how I feel about it. As I said the album is very recommendable though if you´re into progressive metal.

UMUR | 3/5 |