Steely Dan - Countdown To Ecstasy CD (album) cover

COUNTDOWN TO ECSTASY

Steely Dan

progrules
3 stars This was always the release I was least familiar with because I only knew Bodhisattva and My old school thanks to "A decade". In the end I bought the album, played it a few times but was never as impressed with this as with most other SD albums. There was already the opening track I never realy liked. It appears to be popular one amongst the fans but I always considered it the least of "A decade", the compilation I possess for over 15 years now. My old school is much more to my liking mainly because of the great guitar work.

Later on I got to know the other tracks and also with those it's a 50-50 score for my appreciation. My favourites are Razor Boy (great atmosphere), Your gold teeth (great composition and a lot better than part II on Katy Lied) and Pearl of the quarter (one of those country songs SD made in the early years, a delicious easy listening track). The other three are far less for me and interesting enough it's in all three cases due to repititive phrases dragging on too long, a feature I don't like on this album.

In the end it's positiv and negativ that even out on this release and that's why I can't go for the 4 stars this time, so 3.

progrules | 3/5 |