Rush - Snakes & Arrows CD (album) cover

3 stars Now I enjoy a lot of Rush's classic stuff. They are definetely a very good band that has made some great stuff in the past. I suppose that's part of what makes this album so dissapointing.

I was astonished after hearing this album the first time. It was very basic. There's nothing that's absolutely outstanding on here. Almost every song is your regular rock track, filled with some basic rock chords and compositional structures. This made it a very dissapointing listen, as most of Rush's earlier work has always jumped out and caught my attention.

Of course, there are a few exceptions. I love Geddy's voice overdubs on the album, it gives a nice harmony element to their sound, and vocal harmony isn't really a huge part of Rush music, so it gives a new perspective. There are 3 instrumentals on the album, and they are all very nice. The Main Monkey Business is exceptionally fun and Hope is a good acoustic number. And as always, Rush throws in a few odd times in their music, most notably in Far Cry, but there are drastically few odd times than in the past.

Of course, this isn't a really bad album. It's just a major dissapointment that it's this band that's doing it. However, it's a pretty good basic rock album and it's great for listening to in the car. The songs all seem about the same, but that's okay. Nothing bad, but it's just not all that great.

topofsm | 3/5 |