Rush - Fly By Night CD (album) cover

FLY BY NIGHT

Rush

Analog Kid
4 stars I group the bands first five releases into what I call "Early RUSH". These albums are: Rush I (1974), Fly By Night (1975), Caress of Steel (1975), 2112 (1976), and All the World's a Stage "Live" (1976).

Fly By Night, Rush's second album, is one of my early favorites. It kicks off with Anthem, and in just a few seconds of that opening track, you realize this is a new, energized Rush with a different drummer. Out with John Rutsey, in with Neil Peart, "the professor" of the drum kit. There are a number of good tracks here including Beneath, Between, & Behind and the title track, Fly By Night. Rush also rolls out another early epic tale of fantasy, By-Tor and the Snow Dog. A four-part song that runs 8:37. This track really high-lights Peart's skill with the drum kit. Alex also begins to play more acoustic guitar parts as showcased in Making Memories and In The End. I give it an honest 4 and half stars as a RUSH album.

Best Tracks: Anthem and Fly By Night