Atomic Rooster - Nice 'n' Greasy  CD (album) cover

NICE 'N' GREASY

Atomic Rooster

ZowieZiggy
2 stars I am afraid that this is only the continuation of their previous release (Made In England"). It is the same sort of blues / soul influenced music which is not really my cup of tea.

I am missing so much their great early recordings which mostly featured some great heavy rock. Way better than this Motown oriented music ("All Across The Country" but not only). The music here might be OK but if I would like to listen to such type of sounds, I would head for "Sly & The Family Stone" instead. I really didn't expect this dramatic change in style from this once good band (at least till "Hearing").

This brass during the funky "Save Me" is exactly what I can't stand in music. Press next.

The problem with "Nice & Greasy" is that most of the numbers are just a carbon copy of each other. Mostly blues / soul oriented ("Voodoo In You"), yet with a heavy texture. I would just add that the guitar work during this song is excellent. But this is only a pale compensation.

I really don't like the music of this album. It goes from bad to worse ("Take One Toke"). And the grotesque "Can't Find A Reason" is not better either. There is only one light out of this darkness: the good instrumental "Ear In The Snow". But this is really the only good moment.

"Nice & Sleazy" does it, does it every time? But not "Nice & Greasy". Two stars, but it seems exaggerated to describe my feelings.

ZowieZiggy | 2/5 |