Earth & Fire - Gate to Infinity CD (album) cover

Earth & Fire

4 stars Gate to Infinity,is Earth & Fire's last great album.To me this album is much slicker and laid back and mellow,than previous albums.The 16 minute opener is a lovely piece that drifts along very nicely. Yes there are two klonkers of songs,Smile (where nothing happens at all) and Green Park Station (Which is pure pop indeed). As somebody else mentioned,Driftin' is indeed an excellent song with a good punch. Disco did not happen until next album Reality Fills Fantasy with Weekend.Yikes. Earth & Fire are heading towards pop,yes.But to me there is good pop and bad pop.Pop here is with a touch of prog. Now,most PFM fans do not like their Italian sung 'pop' period,but I think they are excellent.Granted PFM's musicians are much better than E & F's,but what the hey. Compliments to Jerney Kaagman for beautiful voice.To me she is up there with Annie Haslam,almost. She can certainly hit the high notes. So 35 minutes of music with 6 of those in the dicey area.I can live with that.

By the way,I was very lucky to see E & F live as warmup for Focus lightyears ago.They were excellent.It was around the time of the Atlantis album.Actally I liked them better than Focus.

Ayways.The 4 * should probably be more like3 1/2.But since nobody wiggled their toes in my porridge and am feeling a little generous ,it is a 4.

gr8dane | 4/5 |