Earth and Fire - Song of the Marching Children CD (album) cover

SONG OF THE MARCHING CHILDREN

Earth and Fire

friso
4 stars My lp record suplier garuntied me this was a good album. Lead singer Jerney Kaagman however was jury of the Dutch Idols and a pain in the ass for Dutch television. How could she ever have made music that was interesting? (contrary to the popscene were she was being active now).

Song of the Marching Children stars with Carnival of the Animals. It ain't a bad song, but it isn't like the best song on the album. The stupidious happines of this track sometimes irritates me. (7/10)

Ebtide. Here starts the album for me. A nice track with guitar effects and flutes. Jerneys voice sounds a bit like she's searching for controll, but can't find it. Here voice can be as low as a man and as high as female vocalist get. One thing has to be said however; you will never find a vocalist that sounds like Jerney Kaagman. (8/10)

Storm and Thunder. Yeah now were talking. A great sinister organ intro shows us what this band is capable of. The title is as dark as the song. Again vocals using a broad spectrum of the voice, the song evolves into a true masterpiece. This is atmosphere! (10/10)

Song of the Marching Children. Is this what we came for? Yes it is! Actually this is at 2.0 version of Storm and Thunder. More complex, more mellotrons, more musical themes, more atmospheres and more extravaganza! The intro is a bit long though. A symphony of mellotrons is used in this song, so mellotronfreaks (like me) will enjoy this! The main theme makes the same inpression like In the Court of the Crimson King. It is as strong as a maintheme of an epic can be! The band explores this nice finding with us with great patience (as King Crimson would do too). This song is the highlight of the career of Earth and Fire and the reason they will be remembered here on this site! Like all good epics the song also has a moment of consideration (as I call it). A peacefull moment were the lyrical theme of the song is discussed in it's most serious way. After this the maintheme ends the symphony and we can hear the children marching. And ending that fulfills you emotional expectations. So.. (11/10)..huh?.

Conclusion: Important symphonic atmospheric prog album from the Dutch. A great result of the discovery of the mellotron. And... last but nog least.. Jerney Kaagman did realy make good music! Four stars!

friso | 4/5 |