The Tangent - The World That We Drive Through CD (album) cover

THE WORLD THAT WE DRIVE THROUGH

The Tangent

LiquidEternity
3 stars I feel like I should have a lot to say about this album, but I don't think I do. I wrote a whole bunch about its predecessor, The Music That Died Alone, but when I get to this record, I feel a good bit underwhelmed.

Wherever The Music That Died Alone was strong, so also is The World That We Drive Through. The similar titles, the similar artwork, and the prominent inclusion of The Flower Kings' Roine Stolt should make it clear that this album is not going to go very many places that The Tangent's debut did not. Overall, it's darker, less focused on retro nostalgia, and a fair bit less upbeat.

Don't get me wrong. This album is good too. I spin it consistently and enjoy the music put forth on it. But of all The Tangent's releases, this is the least exciting to me. Something about the music keeps it from being as neat as it should be. I fear that the presence of Stolt may have something to do with this. Again, don't get me wrong. I love The Flower Kings (sometimes) and I love Transatlantic. It just seems to me that sometimes, the fellow's music tends towards drooping, towards wilting away from the interest that it almost creates.

Overall, as far as The Tangent goes, the albums without Roine are the strongest. Maybe not vocally, maybe not in production, but as far as interesting music happens to carry them, Not as Good as the Book and A Place in the Queue are much stronger than this one and their debut.

LiquidEternity | 3/5 |