Echolyn - As The World CD (album) cover

5 stars As The World is one of my all time favourite albums. I bought it "on spec" having read one brief review and I hope this review encourages people to follow my lead. I was capivated on first listen and it was a revelation in the mid-90s to discover a band that provoked the same excited response from me that I remember when first hearing ELP, Yes and Genesis. Not that Echolyn's music is particularly comparable to the aforementioned. The music is undoubtedly what would be termed "progressive" rock but I don't feel the usual criticisms of that genre can be applied to Echolyn. The album is full of great songwriting, arrangements and musicianship and is very moving at times - romantic and reflective and veering from the delicate and beautiful to loud and aggressive. There isn't a weak track or dull moment among the 16 that make up this fine album.

| 5/5 |