Flor de Loto - Flor De Loto CD (album) cover

Flor de Loto

Prog Folk

3 stars Peruvian progressive rock?...Yes,why not?...I admit that the only band from Peru that I am aware of is FRAGIL,although I'm also aware of the intense ''psychedelic'' past that this country has...So,before listening to FLOR DE LOTO I didn't know what to expect really...After several listens I recognized that this in fact a ''crossover of styles'' band...And they really have a potential...but...

The things do not work that well in this first effort...First it's the production...Awful...how was this album recorder...in a garage?in the underground?It sounds so dark and almost like a live recording...and we are talking about 2005!That's one thing I do find over-negative!...What about the music...Well,this is a crossover of styles...You can find some symphonic passages,especially where the flute is added,along with the folk atmosphere,there is an over-intense psychedelic feel close to the earlier psych Peruvian bands and mostly some eclectic arrangements reminding of ANEKDOTEN and KING CRIMSON...Sounds interesting and it is,but sometimes the guys overdo it with some ''dark'' never-stopping solos or other ideas are flat or longer played than it should be,so the music often tends to monotony...

The talent is there and it's something more than clear that they can do it much better in the future...Actually and musically speaking this is a decent work that deserves in terms of music a 3 star rating...But I warn you about the poor the production...So,guys,develop your ideas a little more,check your production even more and we'll talk about a very good band in the near future!...

apps79 | 3/5 |