Onségen Ensemble - HottoïzzoH CD (album) cover

Onségen Ensemble

3 stars I was positively surprised finding this from Finland, and though there's some typical Finnish things here (maybe somehow reminding me of new age), it's very energetic and eclectic, and songs are well done and harmonic. But it's not a full-length album (and three fairly short tracks; it's not easing the hungry much), so I give three stars and continue waiting for something to come. I also had some exceptions and I don't really like this kind of music so much (post&psychedelic rock jamming), although the really raging avant-garde is my cup of tea. HottoïzzoH is tight jazz/psychedelic rock, in the name of Kingston Wall, but it's still quite different. The very beginning reminds Bondage Fruit's Kinzoku No Taiji (well, there's very little zeuhl in this mini album). The music in this record is post-rock-like constructive from repetititition (not too much, however), many times guitar oriented. Ouía Mi Mosa has more light latin jazz atmosphere but to me the vocals sound a bit japanese. VTG's beginning is almost straight from Magma's De Futura's climax part. But the song is very nice, dark, sometimes with slower heavy parts (like death metal, or let's say Nirvana's heavy metal) but this clearly moves towards avant-garde, from chamber rock to a bit metallic atmosphere (Nebelnest comes to my mind). Heavy.
progressive | 3/5 |