Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans CD (album) cover

TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS

ProgBagel
3 stars Yes - 'Tales from Topographic Oceans' 3.5 stars

A collection of good songs with great moments in each of them, but as a whole this album is too much to swallow.

This is regarded as one of the most pretentious albums in the history of music, and I humbly agree. I think it was a bold step for the band and I appreciate the effort. When I listen to each of the songs, I find them all to be good. If I decide to listen to even two of the songs in a row, I easily lose focus and attention, this album was just simply too much to handle in one sitting, which is really unattractive.

But there is beauty contained within this album. Steve Howe's work in particular is his most eclectic effort at the point in time in Yes. Going anywhere from avant-garde, to minimalism to jazz he covers all of it efficiently in his endless bag of tools. Alan White, who replaces Bill Bruford does a good job of stepping in.

This album is mostly indescribable due to the length and the variations in sound. I don't mind any of it, all I am saying it is too much for one's own good. This might be something a die-hard progressive fan would enjoy far beyond anything else.

ProgBagel | 3/5 |