Djam Karet - A Night For Baku CD (album) cover

A NIGHT FOR BAKU

Djam Karet

Mellotron Storm
3 stars 3.5 stars. I'm really a big fan of this band owning 9 of their albums. Out of the nine there are six that are simply amazing recordings, this isn't one of them. This is good though, but like Finnforest, I feel that this one just doesn't excite me or grab my heart like some of their others do. Lots to like though so lets have a look.

"Dream Portal" is very pleasant sounding with soaring guitar melodies. Lots of synths as well, in fact there are plenty of synths throughout this record. A childs voice can be heard 3 1/2 minutes in. The guitar continues to soar. "Hungry Ghost" is darker and heavier to start with. Lots of synths again. The guitar sounds great 2 minutes in. A change 4 minutes in as we get some splendid drumming and guitar. It turns jazzy before 5 1/2 minutes before going back to the previous soundscape after 6 1/2 minutes. "Chimera Moon" for me is the most outstanding song on here by a wide margin. It opens with some amazing atmosphere for almost 2 1/2 minutes when vocal samples and drums come in. It gets more powerful as the guitar lights it up. More samples and mellotron 6 1/2 minutes in.

"Heads Of Ni-Oh" opens with soaring guitar and synths as drums beat steadily. A change 1 1/2 minutes in as it gets heavier with some blistering guitar. Nice. Organ 3 minutes in. The tempo slows down 6 1/2 minutes. Great tune. "Scary Circus" opens with carnival-like sounds before the song kicks in after 1 1/2 minutes. Some excellent guitar. "The Falafel King" opens with an almost mandolin-like sound as drums pound away. Guitar comes in and trades off with the other stringed instrument. "Sexy Beast" has a powerful intro but it settles quickly as a heavy undercurrent with synths takes over. "Ukab Maerd" features some electronics and synths early. Lots going on after 3 minutes then it calms down. It gets experimental 5 minutes in and samples come arrive. Steve Roach helps out with the ending with some guitar atmospheres. "The Red Thread" has a good heavy rhythm to begin with. Organ 2 1/2 minutes in. Guitar a minute later. Guitar is back 6 1/2 minutes in as synths follow.

Hard to put a finger on it exactly, but this is an album that I don't want to play again when it's over.

Mellotron Storm | 3/5 |